Aaron Mahnke of Lore has some great advice on how podcasters can be more successful based on his own podcasting success, which not only includes massive download numbers, but adaptation of the podcast for television and a book series. Don't let the "2019" tag fool you – this is evergreen advice that will help you to improve your podcast and great more listeners at any time.
The big ideas:
- Schedule Is King – Pick a schedule and stick to it.
- Audience Over Money – Focus on audience growth first, then money.
- Everything Is Storytelling – Everything. Even the interviews you do.
- Respect Your Listeners' Time – Get to the point!
- Know Your Stats – Stats tell you how healthy your show is, so don't ignore them.
- Be Disciplined – Treat your podcast seriously.
- Content Trumps Shiny Marketing – Focus on making a great podcast and listeners will come to you.
- Be Professional – Don't beg, don't insult, etc.
- Be Yourself – Don't copy the podcasts of others, do your podcast.
- Stick With It – Growing a podcast takes time.
ABOUT LORE: Lore is a non-fiction podcast which examines historical events that show the dark side of human nature. It was created in 2015 by Aaron Mahnke and received the iTunes "Best of 2015" Award. In 2016, it was given the award for the "Best History Podcast" by the Academy of Podcasters and included in top lists by The Atlantic and Entertainment Weekly.
The television series trailer: